1/13/10

Fusion Video|Photojournalism: Nike Case Study

I have addressed video fusion in my blog before, in short new cameras allow me to shoot high quality stills and video in the same camera body allowing me to be a photographer and videographer on the same night.

Case study:

Nike needed photos and video of a community event sent the same night to their corporate offices in Oregon. I suggested that I shoot fusion with my Canon 7D capturing stills and video that was file based and ready to upload and watch. I captured the event as usual switching back and forth between stills and video. We had two laptops uploading and I sent files for viewing in Oregon that same night. The Nike executives were able to see the kids at the event and get a feel for where their marketing dollars were going.


A little more about the technology:

The Canon cameras shoot video in the popular QT H264 format that is instantly ready to view on a computer. Traditionally video is captured to tape and then must be digitized into a computer then converted into the needed broadcast format which takes time. With the new cameras and a fast internet connection we can very inexpensively shoot and distribute the video minutes later. I can shoot 640x480 SD 1280x720HD and 1980x1080 Full HD. The video is stunning and has a more cinematic feel due to the narrower depth of field.

The Limitations:

Video files are large and it is essential to have a fast internet connection. We were stymied a bit by a very slow overloaded DSL on the night. Luckily I shot SD video and I was able to get about 2 minutes of video up to Oregon about an hour after it occurred. With a standard DSL it would have only taken about five to ten minutes. Later that night I sent a quick 16 minute edit of all the good footage.

The cameras are not great for sports or anything that moves fast, I have to manual focus once the camera is running and it is very difficult tracking motion that is quick.


Conclusion:

Fusion/hybrid cameras that shoot video and stills are a promising new tool that I am using to continue to provide my clients with flexible quality multimedia at a strong value. This fusion process is especially good for events that need a highlight/ sizzle reel and some great photographs. I can competently shoot both video and stills and deliver a strong product at a tremendous value.

Here is a sample of a Save the Date Video shot fusion:



-Josh